Artist Statement


I am a writer, director, video editor, cinematographer, folly artist, sound editor, sound mixer, composer, set designer, prop builder, location scout, and casting director. I oversee every aspect of my films. Every flaw and strength in my work is my sole responsibility, even if it was recorded completely on accident. When I set out to make a film, I unusually begin with a simple story or idea, then allow technical and thematic elements to match the overarching narrative. Often my films are within the genres of experimental comedy, drama, or music videos; however I don't like to place myself into specific genres as that reduces creativity. My only goal as a filmmaker is to make the avant-garde fun, avoiding the boring pretension that permeates experimental filmmaking. I find inspiration through the constraints I'm given, if I have a tennis court I will make a film about Tennis. My greatest inspirations are Charlie Kaufman for writing and mise-en-scene, Paul Thomas Anderson for cinematography and sound design, Sergei Eisenstein for editing, and David Foster Wallace for the broader themes I'm addressing in my work. My best films are adaptations either in a direct sense or in music videos.

View my work under the Completed Films page.   


Comments

Popular Posts