Production Post--Pretzel Pie Music Video

Because I don't have actors at the moment I've decided to go back to my quarantine style of shooting inanimate objects. During lock down I did not have a great deal of success in this form, but in the months since I have become a far better technical director, thinking of films with the effects as the primary consideration and the message as secondary, following in the impressionistic, dadaist, US Art film style I have been preforming lately. This music video effectively displays layering, form composite, continuous movements, literal jump cuts, and non-representational images. The film was shot all in one day using my phone and edited the next. 
The original intention of this film was to show the idea of form composite, the idea of combining two different forms of cinema into a single piece, in a more complete way than I had in the past. 

For the first part of production I simply took a 3 hour walk seeking out interesting shots. I planned the primary two movements would be a continuous pan to the left and jump cuts of me jumping. But beyond this slight planning I improvised all shots 

During filming some flowers caught my eye and I thought they would look interesting when put to max saturation and vibrance in the color section of Premiere so I took some shaky shots of these unsure of there use, worst case scenario I could throw them into my video library. 

Then, as I was finishing up production I noticed a text in the IB group chat asking for selfies to make portraits of which gave me the idea of having a person turn into their portrait. From this seed of an idea I figured out it would be a film about art history in some vague way that resists interpretation. 
After logging the base video component I worked on the stop motion section. Thursday night as I was trying to think of metaphors for a college essay I had the idea of making a movie about the pawns revolting against the back row. I don't have a phone tripod so to make this section I used this metal shelf and held my the phone down with my one hand as I maneuvered the pieces. My original thought for this section of the project was far more grand, but this was effective for the resources I had available. 
For the animation sections I borrowed from Zach Willard's preexisting animations. For the painting section I just used images available on the internet. As a part of the entire history of art thing I decided to do a "tuning through history" component at the beginning of the video, making sure to use less than 6 seconds of every song used. 






Comments

Popular Posts