Production-What makes a movie a masterpiece?--There Will Be Blood and Metamodern Film Critique

Since the pre-production post I have finished the script, recorded the audio, and began collecting the clips I will be using from YouTube. 

Completed Script:

 

This is my favorite shot in all of cinema.

 

Video quote: the shot

 

Simple, clean, effective. While this is a shot has some obvious merits, explaining beyond those basic merits requires explaining what makes a “perfect” movie. Many people have presented theories on what makes a movie great with Roger Ebert proposing the specific vision of the director is the most important quality. Or many critics judging based on the way a film achieves its purpose. There are countless theories each with their own problems

 

But I feel cinematic perfection should be judged based on three formal criteria.

First: All individual aspects of the movie need to be working at the top of their game. Defined by a combination of those elements serving a narrative purpose and ascetic beauty.

While there are movies that have great cinematography, Acting, Writing, Sound Design, Editing, Directing…Ect. But it is rare a movie has every individual aspect of that movie working at a true top tier, with the clearest example being the silence of the lambs.

 

Video quote: Opening scene

 

This scene has textbook acting, directing, cinematography, writing, editing, sound design…everything. These is no choice that is not original and evocative, while simultaneously not overtaking the other choices.  

 

Second: All the cinematic elements need to be going in the same direction.

When you learn how to make movies the analytic purpose of each element is explained with examples of great uses in isolation, but it is rare all of these elements combine towards a singular vision. This is best explained through example, and we will return to There Will Be Blood

 

Video Quote: The not taking the contract scene

 

In this scene every individual aspect is combining towards the idea that Danial is in complete control. The sound forms itself around his voice. The camera stops and starts according to his movement. The actor portrays a complete sense of control. The film cuts around his movements. Every film element is formed around the singular idea of establishing Danial as a man who understands what he is doing in an absolute sense.

 

Finally: the movie needs to have an understanding of the conventions and navigate those conventions to its own advantage. People have watched many films, so ignoring other films would be foolish. Instead of ignoring conventions filmmakers need to understand the conventions and make a purposeful choice to follow, break, or synthesis those conventions to create meaning. A clear example of this can be seen in the way Get Out navigates the horror genre to create additional meaning about coded American racism. Or Starship Troopers’ understanding of the War genre and propaganda technical elements to display the inherently fascistic nature of war movies. Or the editing choices in Serpico. Or Lady Bird following the conventions of a teen comedy until the last moments to its advantage. Or the choice to make Dr. Strangelove a comedy. Or every choice in Phantom Thread 

Video Quote- Toast scene

Phantom Thread is a movie that understands every small choice it is making. Like all of Paul Thomas Anderson’s movies it is deeply Intentional

Video Quote- Behind the scenes of I Feel bad someone had to paint that.

The film purposefully breaks hallmark cinematic rules such as the 180 and 30 degree rules. The plot is perfectly formulaic when it needs to be, but breaks away from audience expectations in interesting and exciting ways. While not a perfect movie, this movie is the best example of understanding the cinematic form and abusing that understanding.

 

By combining these three aspects a movie can achieve “perfection”. Now I know what you’re thinking “what a modernist twerp trying to quantify movies” But there is a difference between a perfect and favorite movie. And really this gets into the bigger problem between objectivism and subjectivism in art criticism. Here are lists of my top films objectively and subjectively.

Show lists of top Objective and subjective films

As you can see there are some similarities between these lists with “Being John Malcovich”, “The Big Lebowski” and “There Will Be blood” showing up on both lists, Equally Synecdoche new York the number one on my Subjective list does not appear on the objective list what-so-ever.

People rarely separate those lists because we have lived in a world of purely subjective, post-postmodern film analysis of a majority of film history. While subjectivism has given us many great directors and films, it is not an approach without flaw. For example I don’t think Lolita would be as well know as it is if it came out in a subjective world. Even though it is a technical masterpiece of literature, It is not an enjoyable book in any way. Subjective critique can make people ignore masterpieces, for example Holy Motors is often overlooked as one of the classic films of the last decade, largely because it is not in any way an easy or entertaining movie to watch. Additionally when awards bodies give out awards more based on subjective interpretation and not objective quality awards, are given to less deserving movies this can be seen in the 2005 Oscar going to Crash over Brokeback Maintain and the 2018 Oscar going to Green book over Black KKKlansman or Sorry to Bother You. The Oscars are highly predictable in the movies they award because they have a few themes and styles they have attached to, which in turn means more films of those styles will be rewarded, creating a cycle of similar subjective analysis. These awards are significant because they determine what gets funding and what gets made.

 

I’m not saying Objective critique needs to be held as the new standard with subjective critique being thrown away, no critical extreme can exist on its own. Rather, I’m advocating for a synthesis between subjective and Objective critique to determine movie quality. A new Metamodern film critique.  Metamodernism can be described as a midpoint between the scientific descriptivism of modernist objectivism, and the cynical deconstruction of postmodern subjectivism. The key idea behind metamodernism is that truth can be achieved by holding two contradictory ideas as equally true at the same time, a distinct both/and logic. Applied onto criticism this means incorporating both the objective quality of a film and your subjective enjoyment of it into the assessment, for example I think Death Becomes Her is one of the most fun and enjoyable movies ever made and also recognize that it is not a good movie. Furthermore, metamodern critique means going away from the binary critical approach provided by both modernists and postmodernists in which there is only variations on “good” and “bad”, instead allowing a movie to be simply interesting or unique, allowing these to be the description of the piece instead of working as modifiers on the binary. Through this approach towards film analysis we can display a far wider amount of art, incorporating filmmakers who are left out in both of the previous extremes. As a reminder this is what my separated lists looks like And Here is my list from a metamodern prospective.

Show third List

And now to return back to where we started. This shot happens to be perfect encapsulating the ideals of cinematography, sound design, acting, directing, all of those basic elements. Those elements are unidirectional. And those elements understand the cinematic conventions in the traditional pacing of an action scene. But, it’s something more than that. A certain unexplainable part of me loves this scene for reasons beyond traditional one word after the other human language.

 

 

Black slate

 

Video quote

 

More TWBB montage

 

What makes a movie “perfect”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Montage to match the elements said- specifics TBD

 


 

 

 

 

 

 The lists: 

Audio Files: 

Video Clips: 

For this film I will be progressively importing clips as they are needed, as I think attempting to pull enough in advance is near impossible. Here are the clips I know I will need as they are my video quotes: 

Evaluation: 

I think I have everything I need to make a successful video essay. I may redo parts of my narration between now and the final product because my performance was off, but other than that I think all I have left is to edit the final product. The video will be around 8 minutes, which is a little short in my opinion, but since I will have more than enough to do between the IB film projects and the Thon factor I'm ok if this project is slightly truncated. 

In other film I have been experimenting with more expressionistic stuff opposed to my typical surrealistic style. Here is the first finished project I made under this idea: 
I think this film is some moments that are absolutely sublime and others which just do not work. However, now that I have started down this path only more can follow. For this film I was just heavily augmenting videos I had already made, but now that I know what type of base video works best for this heavy augmentation I will start taking video with the direct goal of making something like this. 

Comments

Popular Posts