Abstract Expressionist Film


Introduction

In the past few months I have been in an artistic pigeonhole in my filmmaking. While I am making very different pieces, they are all playing into metamodern-surrealism which I have firmly claimed as my style. However, as my technical skill in editing has improved I wanted to try making something unlike any film I had ever seen before pulling from the tradition of expressionism. While there is an excellent tradition of non-moving expressionism, with painters such as Jean-Michel Basquiat and Jackson Pollock, expressionistic film tends to be overly formulaic and boring. The key example of this can be seen in German Expressionism.  
I would also categorize many of the most boring Avant-guard films into this category. So, in a desire to achieve full originality, I want to harness the expressionist tradition to make interesting, distinct music videos.

The Theory Behind Abstract Expressionism 

Before I begin I should note that I will be grouping abstract expressionism, neo-expressionism, art brut, and automatic art all under the one signifier of abstract expressionism. While I recognize these movements have distinct qualities that separate them from each other, I am more interested in the underlying philosophy and practice of these traditions and not their aesthetic forms. 
Abstract expressionism is based on the idea that true art can be produced by allowing the subconscious to create freely. In practice this means making marks on the surface not based on purposeful decision, rather allowing your hand to move on the first impulse. Through allowing the subconscious to gain control over the piece the artist can represent their subjective emotional experience in a far more true and real way. A fundamental part of the enjoyment in abstract expressionism is imagining what the painter was thinking as they made the piece. This type of enjoyment is best exemplified through the action painters like Pollock, in the complexity of their work you can see the iterations and the process.  

The only time I have been transfixed by non-moving visual art was when I saw Basquiat's Tuxedo on the New York trip last year. 
I remember being sucked in and staring at it for at least half an hour. While I have had that reaction in narrative media, I have never had that experience through simple visuals. To a certain extent, that experience has guided my attempts in abstract filmmaking. That experience stands testament to the power of expressionism as an artistic philosophy. 
 
Abstract Expressionism as a Film Practice 
In making the above film I simply took clips existing on the computer as well as completed films on my YouTube channel and imported them progressively based on the need for new clips. In adding effects I added randomly until it looked cool. The moment a clip was to my liking I did not change it, even as I added new clips on top of it. In short, I allowed my subconscious to drive the content of the film. 

I do not think this is an amazing video. Nor do I think the process was spectacular. However, there are certain moments that are purely sublime. Specifically, the cover art and when Ed was jumping up and down. From those moments I can look at the effects I applied and incorporate those visual elements into new projects. For me, abstract expressionism will become a tool to come up with new visual ideas that can be incorporated into other projects.



Work Log
Monday- Collecting Clips
Tuesday- Editing
Wednesday- Editing 
Thursday- Editing 
Friday- Editing

Comments

Popular Posts