Preproduction- The Balled of the Cat Music Video
For my next music video I am going to make my first attempt at using CGI characters. In this I will be learning how to use Adobe Animate during the production phase and possibly learn After Effects during the postproduction phase if what I want to accomplish cannot be done locally in Premiere. While this project will end in a complete product, my main goal is to add to my toolkit as a filmmaker in preparation for when we can film with actors again. Assessing my work, I think I want to transition into action and away from drama in my non-experimental films and using CGI characters is key towards making effective films within the action genre (in addition to CGI effects which I will explore in a future production cycle).
Most of my time in the pre-production phase has been spent conceptualizing ways to add characters on top of regular film. Since this is my first time doing any animation I decided to have the character not represent the lighting it is in and to give it a limited range of motion. Instead of animating each movement the character makes in relation to the reality it is being placed on top of, I will create simple movement loops and have the animation move across the screen at the rate of those loops. Practically, I will be making a series of gifs. With this in mind I decided to have this first go into CGI be fairly abstract, as I can get away with the inevitable series of mistakes with less scrutiny from my audience. It was at this moment I decided what song I would put this test to: "The Balled of the Cat". With clear characters, a few more specific motions, and a rather short run time, I felt this was the ideal piece from the HGO catalogue to learn CGI from.
Story Board:





Comments
Post a Comment