7234224
Despite the fact this film was completed in-between a bunch of other projects, I think it turned out fairly well. Some may call it boring but I will call it avant-guard. It get away with the fact there is no real character motivation guiding any action, rather vague hints of a character through a series of small details. Showing the world as it really is not an exaggerated movie interpretation of the world, that still points out it is a movie with the use of basic tricks. Beyond the film working as well as it does, I think this has a good display of how to make phone cinematography look decent by filming in a higher aspect ration with a lower frame rate and controlled shutter speed. The editing is ok given the overall idea of the movie, I would prefer for myself to take the time to do cut-ins and editing at a generally higher tempo --I am a fan of letting the editing be the star of the show-- but in this film the overly-simple style thematically works. If I were to redo this project, the biggest change I would make is to specialize as either the actor or cinematographer; when I'm playing both roles neither are done as well as it could. The cinematography is probably the weakest part of the film, with most my compositions slightly off the intended set up. The largest overall problem of the film is the clash between my sensibilities and the story I'm telling, I would like to have went for a less representational story concept. I am not great at directing contained, grounded stories, and am totally inept at writing such stories. In the future I need to keep to genre movies, music videos, and surrealism for my originals and work with a formalistic-boring DP for my grounded-book adaptations.
This is my mandatory yearly attempt at asking myself, what if I just made a movie from my house? An effort which always makes me want to go out and film in parks and colorful sports-courts.
Comments
Post a Comment